BEST DATE MOVIES & BEST CHICK FLICKS
FOR YOUR INTIMATE HOME CINEMA
Decadent...that's what it is..
Guess what I've got in the corner of my bedroom, on top of the dresser?
| || |
Yep, one of these...
| || |
And one of these, too...
Yes, in the bedroom! Why not!
If you can possibly afford it, get you one of those HDTV wide screen televisions. (Not the projector kind- get like a 34" flat screen 16:9 number). They have come way down in price and can be had for well under $1,000! Then get an inexpensive DVD player, hook it all up. Just do it! And put it...not in the living room...
...but in your bedroom!
I know, I know... "But the kids won't get to see it much"...
Well, so what! Get them a 26-incher and stick it in the living room. And then, promise them... when they grow up and get a job, they can have their very own widescreen TV in their bedroom!
In the meantime, turn your bedroom into your own private theater... What a luxury... what a self-indulgent, pleasurable thing to do. You DESERVE it... You work hard for the money... so enjoy it.
BEST DATE MOVIES & BEST CHICK FLICKS
This is an easy one... movies are great! We all love 'em...They'll make you laugh...and cry...and think...and put you in the mood. Make them a part of your intimate life together.
A night out, dinner and a movie, is great on occasion... but this is one of our favorite "nights in":
- Rent a great DVD
- Pop some popcorn & make root beer floats, or
- Make a platter (sliced summer sausage, cheese cubes, hot & sweet mustard, pickles, olives, crackers)
- Pour some good wine
- Cut all the lights & turn off the phone
And settle in for movie time at home!
Now, there's tons of great movies we could have recommended... And whittling the list down caused a bit of bickering among the girls...so we voted, then capped each category at 20 of our favorites....sensual and romantic movies not to be missed...
Even if you've seen some of them already... rent them again... many DVDs are re-releases with added scenes, improved graphics and remastered sound. One of the best... you gotta see "To Have and Have Not" with Bogey & Bacall, on the wide-screen...What a taste treat ! Check out the deco furniture! The stylish hats! An undiscovered nuance with every viewing...
Serious about your flicks? BUY your dvds and start a film library.
***Great gift idea for your guy: slowly collect a bunch of his favorite movies, box 'em up, and present it to him on his birthday! To get you started, go to www.afi.com and click on the Top 100 List (the best of the best to collect). A great starting point.
Have you REALLY gotten into this? For a cool website to help you install a genuine home theater in your bedroom or living room, visit:
Alright, alright! Here's the movies...
*Click on the movie title to get "the skinny": stats, reviews, and the best price we could find.
OLD CLASSICS-THE BEST DATE MOVIES
(ALWAYS A TREAT WHEN NOTHING'S ON TV)
1. GONE WITH THE WIND-(1939)- Clark Gable & Vivien
Leigh-Arguably one of the best movies ever made...
everyone needs one in their film library...
We will love it forever!
2. AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER-(1957)-Cary Grant &
Deborah Kerr- One of our favorites...watch it with him
on Valentine's Day. A timeless romantic-comedy classic.
3. The African Queen Gets better with each viewing. Hands-down,
Stella's all-time favorite movie.
4. CASABLANCA-(1942)- Bogart & Ingrid Bergman-
There's a reason why this legendary film has
endured---it's perfect! "America's most popular
and beloved movie".
5. TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT-(1945)- Bogey & Bacall-
The true-life romance between them unfolds
before our very eyes in this must-have classic.
A more passionate and torrid love affair has
not been captured on film!
6. THE BIG SLEEP-(1946)- Bogey & Bacall
Together again in this convoluted whodunit; hugely
entertaining. All the Bogey flicks are delicious on
DVD re-releases, across a wide-screen. You'll
discover nuances with every viewing.
7. KEY LARGO-(1948)- Another Bogey & Bacall
"must-see". We also love the 100 year old
Seminole "Mama" at the beginning.
NOTE: Oh, all right, just be done with it! Get yourself
a Bogart boxed set:
BOGEY & BACALL COLLECTION
HUMPHREY BOGART 5 CD COLLECTION
8. WUTHERING HEIGHTS-(1939)- Lawrence Olivier
& Merle Oberon- Unbelievable on the wide-screen,
in a darkened room--A moody, tragic masterpiece...
9. TO CATCH A THIEF-(1955)- Cary Grant & Grace
Kelly- One of Hitchcock's lighter offerings, it's a
suspenseful, enjoyable, highly watchable classic.
10. BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S-(1961)- Audrey
Hepburn & George Peppard- One of the most
romantic love stories on film...always a treat to
11. ROMAN HOLIDAY-(1953)- Gregory Peck &
Audrey Hepburn- Another one of the most
romantic movies ever made--also with
Audrey Hepburn. Is it a coincidence? Nope!
12. SABRINA-(1954)- Bogey & Audrey Hepburn
& William Holden- Yep, Audrey again... She pulls
off this delightful romantic comedy with class
and style. And pair her up with Bogey? Yummm!
NOTE: #10, 11 & 12 are available as the boxed
"AUDREY HEPBURN DVD COLLECTION".
13. A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE-(1951)-
Marlon Brando & Vivien Leigh- An essential
American classic about love, desire, betrayal.
Earthy and brutal, a must-see, but not for a
lighthearted evening... "Stellaaaa....!"
14. SUNSET BOULEVARD-(1950)- William Holden
& Gloria Swanson- A masterpiece...a unique fairy-
tale romance...also not for light-hearted viewing...
but not to be missed.
15. CHARADE-(1963)- Cary Grant & oh, yeah...
Audrey Hepburn. Exceptionally entertaining...
It's funny, sophisticated, romantic, "Hitchcockian".
16. THE PHILADELPHIA STORY-(1940)- Cary Grant,
Katherine Hepburn, & Jimmy Stewart- A screwball
romantic comedy, this witty, sparkling romp by three
huge Hollywood talents is to watch over and over again!
17. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT-(1934)- Clark Gable
& Claudette Colbert- OLD movie...still as fresh, funny
and sexy as it was in 1934 when it swept the Awards...
Classy, classy film.
18. HIS GIRL FRIDAY-(1940)- Cary Grant & Rosalind
Russell- One of our all-time favorites...fast, funny,
Cary at his best.
19.BRIEF ENCOUNTER-(1946)- Trevor Howard &
Celia Johnson- Never heard of it? Then you've missed
one of the most passionate and romantic stories ever
captured on film. Your guy will like it, too, though he
might not admit it. Why's it so expensive? I dunno.
20. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE-(1947)- James Stewart
& Donna Reed- Alright, alright, not exactly a romance...
but, it's the most beloved American Christmas film ever.
Let it become a Holiday "ritual" in your family, too.
BEST CHICK FLICKS
(BUT HE'LL ENJOY SOME OF THEM, TOO)
But first, check out our list of The 10 Best Movie Kisses Ever!
1. TERMS OF ENDEARMENT-(1983)-Jack Nicholson,
Shirley MacLaine & Debra Winger- Nicholson vs.
MacLaine (endearingly funny) + Winger's charm +
terminal illness= A beautifully acted, clever tear-
jerker, destined to become a classic.
2. HOPE FLOATS-(1998)- Sandra Bullock & Harry
Connick, Jr.- Simple, unpretentious, and fun to watch.
This film provides a pleasant evening's entertainment...
plus an eyeful of Hunky Connick!
3. MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE-(1999)- Kevin Costner-
Unabashedly romantic film about love lost and
found again... predictable but well-done.
4. BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY-(1995)- Clint
Eastwood & Meryl Streep- A classic love story;
quiet, graceful and beautiful to watch; read the
5. SWEPT FROM THE SEA-(1998)- Vincent Perez-
Brooding, bittersweet melodrama set in the
1800's. Bring the Kleenex, and watch it with your
6. THE ENGLISH PATIENT-(1996)- Ralph Fiennes
& Juliette Binoche- Exquisite tale of love and
loss during WWII...will wrap you up until the end...
solid "Chick Flick".
7. UNTAMED HEART-(1993)- Christian Slater
A sleeper...sweet, genuine love-tale between two
unlikely players...but the chemistry works.
A 3-hanky movie.
8. OUT OF AFRICA-(1985)- Robert Redford &
Meryl Streep- Redford + Streep + astonishing
scenes of Africa + romance = Multi-Oscar winning
movie not to be missed.
9. A ROOM WITH A VIEW-(1986)- Maggie Smith-
Touching, romantic and funny, this award-winning
"art film" is a critically acclaimed "essential movie".
10. TRULY MADLY DEEPLY-(1991)- Juliet
Stevenson- Different, intelligent, funny, moving,
quirky. Well acted, filmed and directed, one of our
favorites! Seems to be out of print, and expensive,
but worth looking for.
11. SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE-(1993)- Tom Hanks
& Meg Ryan- Outstanding romantic comedy--pure
12. NOTTING HILL- (1999)- Hugh Grant & Julia Roberts
Ordinary guy falls for celebrity girl. Can this work?
Light fare for a pleasant evening at home.
13. RETURN TO ME-(2000)- David Duchovny-
You'll love this tale of second chance love and
happiness. The lovers have something in common...
14. CIRCLE OF FRIENDS-(1995)- Chris O'Donnell-
Set in post-WWII Ireland, this sweet and
insightful love story is for true romantics...don't
forget your hanky!
15. SERENDIPITY- (2001)- John Cusack & Kate
Beckingsale. They fall in love after a brief meeting,
then abandon the romance to the whims of fate.
Starry-eyed romance, warm and fuzzy Chick flick.
16. SOMEWHERE IN TIME-(1980)- Christopher
Reeve & Jane Seymour- Superman + beautiful
woman + haunting music + flaky magical plot =
endearing and entertaining cult flick.
17. LOVE STORY-(1970)- Ryan O'Neal & Ali
MacGraw- Dated but classic tear-jerker. If you
saw it in the 70's, rent it now to bring back
18. SIX DAYS, SEVEN NIGHTS-(1998)-
Harrison Ford & Anne Heche- Lighthearted,
predictable action-comedy-romance. Great fun
to watch, and he'll probably enjoy it, too.
19. MY BEST FRIENDS WEDDING-(1997)-
Julia Roberts- A classic chick-flick--fast-paced,
slick and classy---and pure fun to watch.
20. SHADOWLANDS-(1994)- Anthony Hopkins &
Debra Winger- Unlikely pairing works! Sparkling
and powerful true story, beautifully filmed.
Another rare DVD, but worth looking for.
BEST DATE MOVIES BEST CHICK FLICKS
(20 ROMANTIC MOVIES YOUR GUY WILL
ACTUALLY SIT THROUGH)
1. TITANIC-(1997)- Leonardo DiCaprio & Kate
Winslet-Astounding blockbuster epic--a must-
see future classic.
2. SWEPT AWAY-(2002)- Madonna- Forget who
stars in this one. Just sit back and enjoy a
charming love story that will make you laugh out
3. THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR-(1968)-
Steve McQueen & Faye Dunaway- A somewhat
dated but stylish adventure. Worth re-watching
for the erotic chess match between the two lovers.
4. THE HORSE WHISPERER-(1998)- Robert
Redford-Beautifully done film about a
traumatized family's spiritual journey back to
life. If you love horses and romance, this one's
5. WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING-(1995)- Sandra
Bullock- Enjoyable romantic comedy! An entertaining
film that guys will like, too.
6. ANNIE HALL-(1977)- Woody Allen & Dianne Keaton-
A classic genre film. Funny, passionate and romantic...
and pure Woody...
7. DR ZHIVAGO-(1965)- Omar Sharif & Julie
Christie- Bet you haven't seen this in years...rent it
and settle back for a delicious (and long) Russian
soap opera set in the snow. Awesome on the wide-
8. YOU'VE GOT MAIL- (1998)- Tom Hanks & Meg
Ryan--Light comedy-romance about two business
owners who hate each other... not realizing that
they have "fallen in love" over the Internet
9. AMERICAN BEAUTY-(1999)- Kevin Spacey-
A brilliant, thoughty, entertaining piece that
will amaze you both.
10. AS GOOD AS IT GETS-(1997)- Jack
Nicholson & Helen Hunt- Quirky, witty and
delightful. A real treat for men and women
11. WHEN HARRY MET SALLY-(1989)- Billy
Crystal & Meg Ryan-Romantic comedy--very
funny performances--clever script--thoroughly
12. FOUR WEDDINGS & A FUNERAL-(1994)-
Hugh Grant-A sleeper that turned into a classic
13. BRAVEHEART-(1995)- Mel Gibson-
Alright, not strictly a romance, but included
because it's so GOOD... and highly watchable
with your Honey...
14. WITNESS-(1985)- Harrison Ford-
Top-notch entertainment...a terrific thriller...and
what a kiss between the two!
15. THE PRINCESS BRIDE-(1987)- This Oscar-nominated
spoof on fairy tales is intelligent and classy. We love and
16. ALWAYS-(1989)- Richard Dreyfuss, Holly
Hunter & John Goodman- Poignant, bittersweet
film. This elegant love story will be enjoyed by
your guy, too.
17. THE BIG EASY-(1987)- Dennis Quaid,
Ellen Barkin- Enjoyable crime-caper for the men...
Sexy, steamy romance for the women...
New Orleans for the atmosphere...
18. 8 SECONDS-(1994)- Luke Perry-
True story of rodeo great Lane Frost...
highly watchable fare. Tight wranglers
and Stetsons for the girls... Sex, booze
and fighting for the guys... Oh, yeah,
there's a good love story in there, too...
19. MOONSTRUCK-(1987)- Cher & Nicholas
Cage-Delicious romantic romp--Italian style...
A light-hearted and entertaining "night in".
20. MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING-(2002)-
Nia Vardalos- I know you've heard of it...
but have you seen it? Ignore the reviews
and watch it! Original, fun, moving... a
BEST DATE MOVIES & BEST CHICK FLICKS
NEW(ER) RELEASES...CHECK 'EM OUT
1. THE NOTEBOOK- James Garner & Gena Rowlands
Great love story that spans the years; a sleeper.
2. RUMOR HAS IT-Kevin Costner & Jennifer Anniston
Romantic comedy based on a true rumor
3. SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE- Jack Nicholson &
Dianne Keaton in a funny love triangle
4. PEARL HARBOR- Ben Affleck, Josh Hartnett
Dramatic and emotional, entertainment of the
5. SHALL WE DANCE?- Richard Gere &
Jennifer Lopez with some fancy footwork and
dreams of romance
6. THE MAJESTIC- Jim Carrey
Interestingly different for Jim, will hold you
'til the end.
7. SOMETHING NEW- Interesting, intelligent
8. THE WEDDING DATE- Bound to become a favorite!
9. HER MAJESTY, MRS. BROWN- Rent it today... highly
entertaining fare, not readily available for sale.
9. THE IMPOSTORS- Period comedy set on an ocean liner
in the 1930s. This sleeper is funny!
RETURN FROM LOVE FLICKS TO HOME PAGE